The Grim Reaper is a spectral entity that is said to be the sentient manifestation of Death itself. Since the 15th century, Death has commonly been perceived to be an animated human skeleton, draped in pitch black robes and carrying a scythe. With this scythe, the Reaper severs the soul's last ties to life and grants the soul safe passage to the afterlife.
The Grim Reaper has often - falsely - been depicted as an evil spirit that preys on mortals. In truth, however, he is neither evil nor good, merely a force of nature and order. Death is a fundamental part of life and it is the Grim Reaper's duty to claim the souls of the deceased so as to maintain the balance of nature. He does not "kill" mortals, he merely guides their spirits to the next realm and it is not his place to judge souls or determine what will become of them.
- In Namco-Bandai's Soul Calibur 4, Zasalamel's second default costume is composed of the "Death" equipment, in addition to his favored weapon being a scythe.
- In the video game God of War: Chains of Olympus, Charon makes an appearance as a twisted old man wielding a scythe, a reference to his spiritual progeny.
- Death, who appears as the archetypal Grim Reaper, is one of the major protagonists in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. In this continuity, Death is simply a guide to whatever afterlife the soul believes it is entitled to. He is also fond of cats, and enjoys hot curries.
- In the Cartoon Network series, The Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy, the Grim Reaper or "Grim" is tormented by two children.
- In The Sims (starting with the Living Large expansion pack), The Sims 2, The Sims 3, and The Sims 4, the grim reaper makes an appearance before a sim is officially dead. It is possible to plead for a loved one be granted a reprieve from the Reaper. In The Sims 2, he plays a game of "which hand is it in?" with the active Sim. If the active Sim loses, the dying Sim will not be saved from dying; if the active Sim wins, the dying Sim will be saved from death. In The Sims, he sometimes doesn't have time to play. If you do play and you lose, he sometimes has a heart and brings the dying Sim back to life...but as a zombie! In The Sims 3, he chants to make the deceased Sim a ghost. The ghost Sim takes the Reaper’s bony hand and goes into his or her grave, marker, or urn (urn if died inside). It might be possible to play a game against the Grim Reaper later to bring a deceased Sim back to life.
- The Grim Reaper makes an appearance as a boss in most of the Castlevania video games. He floats around shooting sickles, and sometimes going onto the ground and sucking the player in.
- In Darksiders, the main character (War) can get the Harvester, which is described as Death's scythe. Also, in Darksiders 2, players take control of Death, though he doesn't look like classic examples of the Grim Reaper, as shown here.
- The Grim Reaper featured in the 1991 comedy Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey. In this incarnation, he was a comedic character who helped the eponymous duo in their battle against De Nomolos.
- Gomez Addams challenges The Grim Reaper in The New Addams Family episode Death Visits the Addams Family.